The following is a list of things which have been approved by the Commonwealth and can be purchased from a Home Care Package at any package level:
- support services – such as help with washing and ironing, house cleaning, gardening, basic home maintenance, home modifications related to your care needs, and transport to help you with shopping, visit your doctor or attend social activities
- personal care – such as help with showering or bathing, dressing and mobility
- nursing, allied health and other clinical services – hearing services and vision services
- care coordination and case management.
There may be other items of equipment or additional services which you may be able to purchase, depending on the level of support you need which can include
- Telehealth and digital technology – telehealth, video conferencing and digital technology (including remote monitoring) where appropriate, to increase access to timely and appropriate care. Assistive technology, such as aids and equipment (particularly those that assist a person to perform daily living tasks), as well as devices that assist mobility, communication and personal safety may be purchased.
- Aids and equipment – Home Care Packages are not intended to be an aids and equipment scheme. However, some aids and equipment, including custom made aids, can be provided when this is identified in your care plan and the item can be provided within the limits of the budget available for the package.Package funds can also be used to assist you if you require a motorised wheelchair or motorised scooter. However, given the high cost of these items, in most cases it is expected that these items would be hired or leased, rather than purchased.
There are restrictions on what you may purchase from your package. The Commonwealth guidelines suggest you cannot use package funds for things like:
- Items which you would have normally purchased from your general income.
- Purchase of food, except as part of enteral feeding requirements
- Mortgage or rent expenses
- Payment of fees
- Home modifications or capital items that are not related to your care needs
- Travel and accommodation for holidays as well as entertainment and club memberships
For a full list of what a Home Care Package will cover, please see the Commonwealth guidelines in the Useful Links section.